Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Rome

Sister Anne took us on a three hour walking tour of Rome, a great primer of the city. We went to St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican, Castle St. Angelo - built by the Emperor Hadrian - Piazza Navorie, the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain. We also stopped at this gelatto place that is supposed to be the best. Two people recommended it to me before I left and Sister Anne made a point of stopping there. The chocolate was pretty good, the white chocolate, eh.

It took about six tries but I found a restaurant to give me a gluten free meal. I have a webpage that translates the whole Celiac thing into Italian, so I just show my blackberry to the waiter. I think about how many of our international students speak English as a second or third language and I can't even order dinner. We Americans are pretty lazy in that respect.

In my minds eye, I thought the Trevi Fountain was the fountain outside the main train station. I remember coming here in college and getting out of the station and seeing this awesome display of power in the fountain. It's not though so I think tomorrow I have to go back and check it out.

We also have an audience with the Pope in the morning. So for everyone who told me to tell him "hi," I will.

Then I have to decide the rest of my day... Sistine Chapel (saw it before the restoration), Coliseum (I think they opened up more of this too), Pantheon (definitely want to go inside), Jewish Quarter and Synagogue? Well, like they say, Rome if you want to, err, Rome wasn't built in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment